Wednesday, July 20, 2016

History: The Year is 1831

I've uploaded year 1831 to the TSP Wiki...

http://tspwiki.com/index.php?title=1831

Here are some one liners...


America! Let Freedom Ring -- The song and lyrics for "My Country, 'tis of Thee" are compose.

Clausewitz "On War" -- He dies so I provide some quotes and talk about my father's experience in Korea.

Nat Turner's Slave Rebellion and Loving Your Enemies -- Nat is visited by the Holy Spirit and starts killing white people. I talk about Martin Luther King and his iron-clad discipline using peaceful resistance.

In Other News -- Charles Darwin, Hunchback of Notre-Dame and Coca-cola.




America! Let Freedom Ring

Samuel Smith is translating a patriotic hymn from the German when he is suddenly overcome with the need to write a patriotic song of his own. He picks up a scrap of paper and within a few minutes, he has written a song that will be sung by school children and adults alike for years to come... "America" or as it has come to be known in the modern day, "My Country, 'tis of Thee". My favorite arrangement is sung by Abby Anderson. Tears fill my eyes every time I hear her sing it. ([Click Here]) [1]
1
My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!
4
Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.
Long may our land be bright,
With freedom's holy light,
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God our King. [2]
My Take by Alex Shrugged
My daughter-in-law is a high school teacher. She was surprised to learn that I sang this song every morning as a schoolboy after reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. She surprised me by reciting the Texas Pledge of Allegiance by heart. She is a real Texas gal. [3] [4] [5] [6]
Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible. [7]

Clausewitz "On War"

The cholera pandemic carries away the great Prussian strategist, Carl von Clausewitz. He spoke of "the fog of war". That is where the phrase comes from. He will be quoted again and again. Here are a few classics... [8] [9] [10]
  • Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. [11]
  • The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. [12]
  • War is such a dangerous business that mistakes that come from kindness are the very worst. [13]
  • The conqueror is always a lover of peace; he would prefer to take over our country unopposed. [12]
  • To secure peace is to prepare for war. [14]
My Take by Alex Shrugged
My father became a pacifist after he returned from the Korean War. My memories of him as a child convince me that he suffered some terrible trauma... several traumas. One morning, he pulled a dead man from the wire. The man was a Korean, the enemy. He carried a picture of his wife and child. My father knew that this man would have killed him if he could have. That was why he had been working his way through the wire, and yet, the picture made him seem so normal. My father explained to me that this incident moved him to become a pacifist. He had seen the worst, done his duty and he knew his own mind. I respected his decision. I loved my father but his efforts to make me hate the gun did not work. I have no love for the gun, but I have seen enough evil to know my duty. My family is counting on me, and I don't want my last full measure of devotion to be wasted throwing pebbles. I know my father would respect that decision.

Nat Turner's Slave Rebellion and Loving Your Enemies

Nat Turner is a slave and he is going to meet his Maker. Nat is not a wicked man. He believes in the Lord and preaches the Gospel. A few years ago he was visited by the Holy Spirit and told that he was to bear the sins of man just as his Savior had done and that Nat was to "fight against the Serpent" meaning the white slave owners. Then in February of this year, a total eclipse was taken as a sign that his preparations for rebellion should begin. He collected weapons and brought some fellow slaves into his plan. Then, on that August day, the Sun took on a strange color. It was a sign, Nat thought. They began their work killing the slave owners, leaving aside only those homes where humble white people lived. He freed hundreds of slaves and killed around 65 white men, women and children before the militia put them down. 56 slaves were hanged including Nat Turner, who expressed no regrets. Maybe a hundred or more were killed during the fighting. It is the worst slave rebellion is US history, and the consequences for the future are incalculable. In the weeks that follow, hundreds more slaves are killed by mobs. The slave owners are riding the tiger and there is no way off. [15]
My Take by Alex Shrugged
During the civil rights protests of the 1960s, the Reverend Martin Luther King emphasized the importance of passive resistance. His niece, Dr. Alveda King, participated in a passive protest as a young girl, but she stepped out of line and was arrested. She had broken her pledge, so they left her in jail. Though the offense was small, discipline had to be maintained. The Kings were holding the reigns on a riot. If they let go, they could lose it all. Many of King's supporters wanted revenge, but he knew that calmer heads must prevail. I am wondering when that time will come.
Don't get panicky. Don't do anything panicky. Don't get your weapons. If you have weapons, take them home. He who lives by the sword will perish by the sword. Remember that is what Jesus said. We are not advocating violence. We want to love our enemies. I want you to love our enemies. Be good to them. This is what we must live by. We must meet hate with love.
-- Reverend Martin Luther King, during the bus boycott after Rosa Parks was denied a seat on the bus. [16] [17] [18]

In Other News

  • Charles Darwin sets out on HMS Beagle as a naturalist. Upon his return, he will put his notes in order, and realize that natural selection explains the difference he sees from species to species. [19]
  • Victor Hugo publishes his novel, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. He wrote it so that more people would appreciate Gothic architecture rather than tearing it down. [20]
  • The inventor of Coca-Cola is born. After John Pemberton became addicted to morphine, he cured it with a mixture of COCAINE and alcohol. Later he came up with a non-alcoholic version with carbonation but THE COCAINE STAYED... until 1903. [21]

This Year in Wikipedia

Year 1831, Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment