Here are some one liners...
America! Let Freedom Ring -- The song and lyrics for "My Country, 'tis of Thee" are compose.
Clausewitz "On War" -- He dies so I provide some quotes and talk about my father's experience in Korea.
Nat Turner's Slave Rebellion and Loving Your Enemies -- Nat is visited by the Holy Spirit and starts killing white people. I talk about Martin Luther King and his iron-clad discipline using peaceful resistance.
In Other News -- Charles Darwin, Hunchback of Notre-Dame and Coca-cola.
America! Let Freedom RingSamuel Smith is translating a patriotic hymn from the German when he is suddenly overcome with the need to write a patriotic song of his own. He picks up a scrap of paper and within a few minutes, he has written a song that will be sung by school children and adults alike for years to come... "America" or as it has come to be known in the modern day, "My Country, 'tis of Thee". My favorite arrangement is sung by Abby Anderson. Tears fill my eyes every time I hear her sing it. ([Click Here]) 
- My country, 'tis of thee,
- Sweet land of liberty,
- Of thee I sing;
- Land where my fathers died,
- Land of the pilgrims' pride,
- From ev'ry mountainside
- Let freedom ring!
- Our fathers' God to Thee,
- Author of liberty,
- To Thee we sing.
- Long may our land be bright,
- With freedom's holy light,
- Protect us by Thy might,
- Great God our King. 
Clausewitz "On War"The cholera pandemic carries away the great Prussian strategist, Carl von Clausewitz. He spoke of "the fog of war". That is where the phrase comes from. He will be quoted again and again. Here are a few classics...   
- Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. 
- The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. 
- War is such a dangerous business that mistakes that come from kindness are the very worst. 
- The conqueror is always a lover of peace; he would prefer to take over our country unopposed. 
- To secure peace is to prepare for war. 
Nat Turner's Slave Rebellion and Loving Your EnemiesNat Turner is a slave and he is going to meet his Maker. Nat is not a wicked man. He believes in the Lord and preaches the Gospel. A few years ago he was visited by the Holy Spirit and told that he was to bear the sins of man just as his Savior had done and that Nat was to "fight against the Serpent" meaning the white slave owners. Then in February of this year, a total eclipse was taken as a sign that his preparations for rebellion should begin. He collected weapons and brought some fellow slaves into his plan. Then, on that August day, the Sun took on a strange color. It was a sign, Nat thought. They began their work killing the slave owners, leaving aside only those homes where humble white people lived. He freed hundreds of slaves and killed around 65 white men, women and children before the militia put them down. 56 slaves were hanged including Nat Turner, who expressed no regrets. Maybe a hundred or more were killed during the fighting. It is the worst slave rebellion is US history, and the consequences for the future are incalculable. In the weeks that follow, hundreds more slaves are killed by mobs. The slave owners are riding the tiger and there is no way off. 
In Other News
- Charles Darwin sets out on HMS Beagle as a naturalist. Upon his return, he will put his notes in order, and realize that natural selection explains the difference he sees from species to species. 
- Victor Hugo publishes his novel, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. He wrote it so that more people would appreciate Gothic architecture rather than tearing it down.