As always, Alex Shrugged's opinions are his own. Other people's work are their own. I include them here for the sake of completeness and to provide a second method of access to the material for the TSP history segment.
* The "Angel of Death" is Born -- Contributed by Alex Shrugged
* Coming to America... Broke but not Broken -- Contributed by Alex Shrugged
* The Second Civil Rights Act and the Trap for Minorities -- Contributed by Alex Shrugged
* Notable Births -- See below.
* This Year in Film -- See below.
* This Year in Music -- See below.
* In Other News -- See below.
The "Angel of Death" is BornContributed by Alex Shrugged
Charles Cullen is born this year. He will become the most prolific serial killer in history topping out at an estimated 400 dead. The Navy will discharge him in 1984 after several suicide attempts. His first remembered murder will be committed on June 11, 1988 at St. Barnabas Medical Center when he administers an overdose to Judge John W. Yengo who had an allergic reaction to medication. He will continue murdering patients at that hospital for another 4 years, some directly and some by contaminating intravenous bags with insulin. When the hospital starts an investigation, he leaves, and continues his killing spree at other hospitals. After 20 years, he will be discovered, arrested and plead guilty. But for now, he is just a baby, the youngest of eight children and the son of a bus driver living in New Jersey.  
Coming to America... Broke but not BrokenContributed by Alex Shrugged
- "¿Cuántas agujas vamos a meter en Fidel, m'ija?" (How many needles will we put in Fidel, my daughter?)
- "Vamos a meter una, dos, tres..." (Let's put one, two, three...)
- -- Nursery rhyme taught to Cuban exile, Gigi Anders, by her mother. 
The Second Civil Rights Act and the Trap for MinoritiesContributed by Alex Shrugged
President Eisenhower (R) has signed into law the second of his Civil Rights Acts. The Republican Party certainly has feet of clay, but the Democrat Party is the mud-slinging home of the die-hard racists. This is especially true of the South, but the North is not immune. It is simply different. LBJ is Senate Majority Leader and he has been delaying, obstructing and otherwise trying to torpedo the bill, but it gets by him and his fellow Democrats. This law is not the all-encompassing, fix-it-all solution that the Democrat leadership will propose after John F. Kennedy takes office. The politics of race has delayed implementation of Civil Rights, but make no mistake, it is Republicans standing four-square for civil rights. There are a few Democrats who genuinely care, but they are thin on the ground. This new law will prohibit consideration of race and color during the voting process. It does not consider place of natural origin. It also sets fines for poll workers who alter the voting records or lose them, and empowers a commission with oversight responsibilities. The commission has a time limit placed on it, and no quotas. That would be crazy. Right? 
- Tim Cook: CEO of Apple Inc. 
- Erin Brockovich: Law clerk and who successfully sued Pacific Gas and Electric for contaminating the drinking water. 
- Jeffrey Dahmer (died 1994, age 34): Raped, murdered, dismembered, AND ATE 17 men and boys. 
- Dan F.: Father of Southpaw Ben, born in Delaware, and currently works for DuPont.
- And in Entertainment...
- -- Amy Grant: Christian Pop singer. 
- -- Bono: Lead singer of U2 and lends his voice to various causes. (I'm not sure how effective he is.--alexshugged) 
- -- Sean Penn: Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Mystic River, and political activist. 
- -- Jean-Claude Van Damme: Universal Soldier, Timecop, and Kickboxer. 
This Year in Film
- Psycho: At the time considered one of Hitchcock's lesser films, it is now one of his best. 
- The Time Machine: Starring Rod Taylor, and Yvette Mimieux in the H.G. Wells' look into the far future. 
This Year in Music
- Elvis is back from the Army with: It's Now or Never, and Are You Lonesome Tonight? 
- The Twist: Chubby Checker has dancers jumping and twisting. 
- Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini: Brian Hyland. (Here come the Beach movies!--alexshugged)