As always, Alex Shrugged's opinions are his own. Other people's work are their own. I include them here for the sake of completeness and to provide a second method of access to the material for the TSP history segment.
* It's the Girls Gone Wild: Secret Service Edition! -- Contributed by Alex Shrugged
* A YouTube video kills the ambassador? -- Contributed by Southpaw Ben
* Here Comes Superstorm Sandy -- Contributed by Alex Shrugged
* Notable Births -- See below.
* This Year in Film -- See below.
* This Year in Music -- See below.
* In Other News -- See below.
It's the Girls Gone Wild: Secret Service Edition!Contributed by Alex Shrugged
As with any Presidential visit, a team of Secret Service agents are sent ahead to set up security. Back in the "good old days" this also meant "Wheels up! Rings off!" President Barack Obama will be arriving in Cartagena, Columbia for the 6th Summit of the Americas to discuss the War on Drugs. The Secret Service arrived ten days earlier, and it's party time! After a particularly hard night of drinking and cavorting, a complaint comes in from a woman of negotiable virtue. She hasn't been paid, and she is hopping mad. (FYI, if you are going to do something immoral or illegal, make sure everyone gets paid what they were promised and a little more. This includes drug dealers, prostitutes and assassins. They can do a lot more harm to you than you can do to them. OK. Moving on.) The fly in the ointment is that the new Secret Service supervisor, Paula Reid, is a woman of integrity. This ain't your daddy's Secret Service any more. If you mess up, she is going to mess with you. Believe it. She sends them all home, and makes a full report. But some secrets are just too good not to share, so as President Obama arrives for the Summit, the news breaks. After the recent gate crashing incident by those reality TV knuckleheads (The Housewives of Washington D.C.), it raises doubts as to the competency of the new Secret Service. But don't worry. At least no one is jumping the fence, and wandering around the White House unchallenged... yet.       
A YouTube video kills the ambassador?Contributed by Southpaw Ben
At 9:40 on September 11th, members of the terrorist group Ansar al-Sharia attacked the US diplomatic compound in Libya. Later, the group attacked a CIA annex that was a mile away with mortars, resulting in a dozen CIA contractors being killed or injured. As Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton took responsibility for the lapse in security that resulted in a lack of additional security being provided to the embassy. Initially blamed on a YouTube video that was considered blasphemous, as it portrayed Islam's founder in a bad light, later evidence supports the assertion that the attack was premeditated, and the release of the trailer was just a coincidence that made a good scape goat.
Here Comes Superstorm SandyContributed by Alex Shrugged
It's not a very strong storm as such things are measured. It's called "Superstorm" Sandy because it is no longer a hurricane. Its winds have been dying down which why it comes as such a surprise when it causes so much damage and loss of life at the end of its run. Sandy began as a tropical storm that developed into a Category 3 hurricane. It hit the Bahamas hard, and then headed north along the Atlantic. It seemed like New York and New Jersey had dodged a bullet when the storm suddenly hooks and comes right at them. Even though Sandy is weakened, it covers a very large area. Sustained winds, even if lower than hurricane force, can be devastating if maintained long enough. The tide is coming in, making the storm surge even greater. The waters surround a neighborhood just as a fire breaks out. They are lost. Firefighters can't get to the blaze. A crane collapses. New Jersey's boardwalks and amusement rides slip into the sea. When it is all over, 117 are dead in the New York/New Jersey area. 40 deaths were from mandatory evacuation area A. They received their notices, but some people insist that it couldn't happen to them. Homes are lost. Power is out, yet here and there some people are prepared. Quietly, extension cords are shared between friends. It's good to have friends. Governor Christie reaches out to President Obama for help. It's their job, but the image is burned into the minds of the public as Christie walks along the beach with Obama. One can almost imagine them holding hands. With only days until the election and Sandy's aftermath dominating the news, Mitt Romney can't get a word in edgewise. President Obama coasts to reelection. Sandy's damage is costly indeed.  
Notable BirthsNone that I can find other than princes and princesses.--alexshrugged
- Sally Ride (age 61, Pancreatic cancer): First US woman in space and a very private woman in her personal life. 
- Rodney King (age 47, accidental drowning after alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, and PCP use): His public beating by police and subsequent exoneration of the police sparked a riot. 
- Whitney Houston (age 48, accidental drowning after cocaine and marijuana use): Actress and singer. (She seemed bent on destroying herself.--alexshrugged) 
This Year in Film
- The Avengers: Superheroes must stop the Norse god Loki. 
- The Dark Knight Rises: Batman save Gotham City from nuclear destruction. (I didn't see it so I don't know if he made it.--alexshrugged) 
- And...: The Hunger Games, Wreck It Ralph, and Brave. 
This Year in TV
- Anger Management: Charlie Sheen is on the FX channel. 
- HBO's Girls: Starring Lena Dunham and situations based on her life. 
- Lilyhammer: The first Netflix original content. A gangster makes a new life for himself in a small town in Norway. 
- "Patently offensive language" is allowed on TV: Without a clear definition of what "patently offensive" means, free speech is infringed. 
This Year in Music
This Year in Video Games
- Street Fighter and Megaman are 25 years old: (How old am I again?--alexshrugged) 
- The Walking Dead for the PlayStation 3: The critics love it. (The critics hate anything that comes from a movie or TV, so this is really something.--alexshrugged). 
- Mass Effect 3 for the Xbox 360: Third of the trilogy. 
- Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii: Fantasy/Sci-fi role playing game. (It seems to have a mystical story line.--alexshrugged) 
In Other News
|12 are dead and 58 injured after a mass murderer enters a Denver movie theater showing The Dark Knight Rises||James Holmes was masked and claimed to be "The Joker".||(My granddaughter, Alyse Shrugged, was working in the same shopping center.--alexshrugged).  |
|20 children are murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School||8 adults are also murdered by Adam Lanza. In the aftermath, the discussion is about gun control and video games.||(Yeah. Mario's evil brother, Wario made Adam do it.--alexshrugged)   |
|Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is hospitalized after falling at home||Doctors discover a blood clot.||(There is a rumor that she actually sustained her injuries in a plane crash, but she seems to be holding together.--alexshrugged)   |
|Obamacare as ruled constitutional under the "taxing and spending" clause||Chief Justice Roberts ruled that forcing people to buy heath insurance was a proper use of the taxing powers of Congress.||(What a load of crap. This why NO ONE should depend on the Supreme Court to fix what Congress has done.--alexshrugged)|
|Marijuana is now legal in Colorado and Washington state.  ||It is still illegal federally, but the feds are looking the other way.||(My only objection is that current rehab resources are not adequate to handle the inevitable X number of people who will get trapped, but the same is true for alcohol in that sense. We will adjust.--alexshrugged)|
|Gay marriage is legalized in Maine, Maryland and Washington state.||This has been a growing trend. ||(The state needs to get out of the marriage business.--alexshrugged)|
|Dallas declares a state of emergency after an outbreak of the West Nile virus||17 are dead in Dallas. Across the US, 243 are dead out of 5,387 cases this year. Aerial spraying of insecticide over Dallas begins.    ||(Don't breathe in.--alexshrugged)|
|A solar coronal mass ejection barely misses Earth||(Just a few more days and we would have plowed right into it.--alexshrugged)  |
|Google self-driving cars are licensed for testing in Nevada||It requires a licensed driver.  ||(I am handicapped, so it won't help me if I need a license.--alexshrugged)|