Here are some one liners...
Coolidge's Persistence and the Pitfall of Genius -- A proverb often attributed to Calvin Coolidge, appears at this time but he never said it. I talk about genius.
Giving Anarchy a Bad Name -- Assassination has become associated with anarchy.
Notable Births -- Mother Teresa, Jane Wyatt and the inventor of Top Ramen®.
In Other News -- Halley's Comet, Frankenstein's monster and the 1st infrared photographs.
Coolidge's Persistence and the Pitfall of Genius
- Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
- Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
- Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
- Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
- Persistence and determination are omnipotent.
- --A Proverb often attributed to Calvin Coolidge, but he never said it.
Giving Anarchy a Bad NameAssassination has become the method of choice for political change. Many assassins claim to be anarchists, so anarchy is becoming a synonym for murder. Let's hit the highlights:
- 1888: Anarchists derail the train carrying Tzar Alexander the 3rd. His injuries lead to his death.  
- 1890: Union members (read as "anarchist Italians") are suspected of murdering the Chief of Police of New Orleans. 
- 1892: The chairman of Carnegie Steel is shot by an anarchist for union-breaking policies. 
- 1901: President McKinley is shot by a man who had recently attended a lecture on the virtues of anarchy. 
- 1903: Alexander the 1st of Serbia is shot by the Black Hand, the same group that will assassinate Archduke Ferdinand, and kick off World War 1. 
- Jane Wyatt (Will play Spock's mother in Star Trek. She will also become Ronald Reagan's 1st wife.) 
- Momofuku Ando (The patron saint of bachelors. He invents Top Ramen® and Cup Noodles®... one of the inventors. Spread the glory.) 
In Other News
- The Earth passes through the tail of Halley's Comet. The comet comes within 13 million miles. No one turns into a zombie. 
- Frankenstein's monster is released! The monster has no name except in relation to his creator. This is the first horror film. It runs 16 minutes.