Here are some one liners...
Rasputin Is Dead! Wait. He's Alive! -- The Russian mystic gets one to the head. It's all going to hit the fan now.
The Slaughter of the Innocents -- The Battle of the Verdun and the Somme will kill millions rather efficiently. (shudder!)
4 Reasons Why the USA Will Enter the War Next Year -- Essentially, promises made that could not be kept... and a telegram that went where it wasn't supposed to go.
Notable Births -- Roald Dahl, Betty Grable, and Kirk Douglas.
In Other News -- Bayano oil swindle begins, Margaret Sanger opens the 1st birth control clinic, and the Rose Bowl Games begin.
Rasputin Is Dead! Wait. He's Alive!Let's make sure he is dead. BANG! He falls to the floor, but it's not enough. The poison didn't kill him. The bullet to the chest didn't work, so a final bullet to the forehead puts him down for sure. Right? Just in case, they tie him up and dump him in the river. His body is found days later. The autopsy concludes that he did NOT die of drowning. (I guess the bullet to the head did it.) Was he a zombie? No. He was a peasant mystic. He frightened most people, but Empress Alexandra of Russia believed that Rasputin was the only man who could keep her son alive. In fact, he had saved the boy's life a number of times, but his very public sexual shenanigans and obvious influence over the royal couple have turned the people against Emperor Nicolas and his German wife, Empress Alexandra. Russia is in a life-and-death struggle with Germany, so designating Alexandra as regent while the Emperor is away on a military inspection has people wondering about German collusion, sorcery, sexual promiscuity, and whether the heir to the throne is really Rasputin's son. (Probably not.) But Rasputin's death comes too late. The damage is done. The 20th century is about to hit a major speed bump with the Russian Revolution.     
The Slaughter of the InnocentsJust when you thought it couldn't possibly get any worse... it gets worse. The Battle of Verdun is a change in tactics. The gloves are off! (What the "F" did they think they were doing before this?) The normal tactic is for the guns to "soften up" the invasion route (thus advertising the invasion route) and then stop to allow the invasion to proceed. Of course, everyone knows this, so the other side immediately moves forward to block them. This time is different. The Germans wait for the Allied troops to move forward, and then blast the area again. Trees and pieces of bodies launch into the air. As with most battles of World War 1, the Generals fail to take advantage of breakthroughs, and it turns into a battle of attrition. With almost a million dead, the Generals do what is natural. They try it again 6 months later. The Somme (SUM) offensive is an attempt to break the stalemate on the Western Front. (It always is.) It will be the bloodiest battle of the 20th century. Almost 20,000 British soldiers are killed the first day. In 6 weeks a million men lay dead... at least they look like men... pieces of men anyway.   
4 Reasons Why the USA Will Enter the War Next Year
- March 24th: President Wilson demands that Germany never sink vessels with Americans on board. This looks like a pretext to force the USA into the war, but historians are not sure of Wilson's intent. 
- July 22nd: The San Francisco Preparedness Parade in support of joining the war is bombed, killing 10 and injuring 40. 
- January of Next Year: This sounds like a joke, but the Germans plan to invade Texas. Even though they promised not to sink shipping with Americans on-board they might have to do it anyway, so they telegram Ambassador Zimmermann in Mexico with instructions. He is to ask Mexico to threaten the US-Mexico border to keep President Wilson distracted. In exchange, Germany will help Mexico take back Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Fortunately, Mexico will tell Germany to stuff it, but the British have the line tapped. The Zimmermann Telegram will be passed to Wilson who will publish it and the reaction of US citizens will be explosive. 
- Roald Dahl (Author of "Matilda," and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.") 
- Betty Grable (The #1 pin-up girl of World War 2. Her legs will be insured for 1 million dollars.) 
- Kirk Douglas (Actor who recently celebrated his 100th birthday! He is also the father of actor Michael Douglas.) 
In Other News
- Margaret Sanger opens the 1st birth control clinic in the USA. It will become Planned Parenthood.