Here are some one liners...
Numbers that Don't Exist! Imagine That! -- Simple rules for negative numbers produces a complex problem for mathematicians.... imaginary numbers.
A New Star and a Star Trek Misstep -- A supernova reveals to the world that the sky can change. I also talk about modern missteps by astronomers that led Star Trek to report on speculative science that didn't pan out.
Have a Little Faith: We Will Get Through This... Eventually -- Massacres and hangings too numerous to list... all in the name of God... but let's not blame God for this mess. This is all on us.
Numbers that Don't Exist! Imagine That!Counting was once a positive experience. Numbers are now a lot more complex. Math needs a few new rules and the Italian mathematician, Rafel Bombelli, has provided a few deceptively simple ones:
- Plus times plus makes plus
- Minus times minus makes plus
- Plus times minus makes minus
- Minus times plus makes minus
A New Star and a Star Trek MisstepAristotle said that the stars are unchanging but something has just changed. A new star called a "supernova" appears in the constellation Cassiopeia (cah-see-OH-pee-ah). It is that "W" in the northern night sky across from the Big Dipper. As a star exhausts it's fuel, it suddenly collapses, blowing off its outer layer of gas and producing a flash of brightness lasting from hours to days. This is a nova or "new star". A supernova is even more dramatic. A star will blow off so much material that the brightness will rival all the stars in a galaxy and last for months or years. This supernova will be visible to the naked eye until 1574. It will be known as Tycho's Supernova after the astronomer who will write a paper pointing out that this new star and the rest of the sky should be defined and cataloged. Soon, astronomers will notice stars that vary in brightness on a schedule. Eventually, these variable stars will be used to measure the size of the galaxy.   
Have a Little Faith: We Will Get Through This... Eventually
- Dr, Who and the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre - Assassinations and mob violence kills a lot of Huguenots on this day. This event is also part of a missing episode of the SciFi show, Dr. Who. The Doctor shows up in the midst of the fighting.  
- The Spanish Fury - The town of Mechelen is mostly Catholic so the Protestants abandon it when the Spanish Army shows up. With no one to fight, the Spanish sack the city anyway, taking their pay out of the looting and rape.  
- Duke Thomas Howard is executed for conspiring to assassinate the Regent of King James of Scotland, in part for religious reasons. 
- The Sea Beggars Land - The Dutch Calvinists that went to sea are called "The Sea Beggars" but they have landed and will fight for Dutch independence. They also hang and imprison a lot of Catholic priests. 
- And various sieges too numerous to mention.