Here are some one liners...
The Divine Right of Kings and the Start of Political Parties -- James is the heir apparent to the throne of England and a Catholic. It is illegal for Catholics to hold a public office so Parliament tries to exclude James from the succession to the throne. A debate over the divine right of kings ensues, causing a division that creates modern political parties.
Lost in a Dream: Pilgrim's Progress and the Martian -- John Bunyan is thrown in prison for preaching, and he writes a novel that will become a best seller for centuries to come. Pilgrim's Progress is a simple narrative carrying a larger, inspiring message. In the secular sense, The Martian by Andy Weir is also a simple story carrying a larger inspiring message.
Many Firsts -- Odds and ends of firsts.
The Divine Right of Kings and the Start of Political PartiesWho picks the king? Is it God or do the faithful have a say? A few years ago the English Parliament passed a religious Test to ensure that only Anglicans hold public office, and the King's brother, James, is a Catholic so he is naturally denied a position in the Admiralty. However, James is also the heir apparent to the throne of England, so Parliament tries to exclude James from the succession. Some argue that the throne is the divine right of kings... that is... it is God who selects the king and the Parliament cannot refuse a king based on his religion. These people are the Tories which is an Irish word meaning "a rebel" who supported the King during the English civil war. In the modern day those who support the Monarchy are still called the Tories. Those opposed to the Tories are called the 'Country Party' or Whigs. When it seems as if James will be excluded from the throne, King Charles the 2nd dissolves Parliament. The debate will continue in later Parliaments and the stuff will really hit the fan when King Charles himself converts to Catholicism but that is another story. This division creates the first political parties.     
Lost in a Dream: Pilgrim's Progress and the Martian
- "As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place [...] and I laid me down in that place to sleep: and, as I slept, I dreamed a dream." 
- * The first fire engine is introduced in Philadelphia. It is a wagon mounted with a "see-saw" water pump. The design is attributed to Richard Mason. 
- * The first medical pamphlet is published in America entitled, "A Brief Rule in Small Pocks or Measles." 
- * The first chrysanthemums arrive in Europe. 
- * The first woman doctor. It is a doctorate of philosophy from the University of Padua. Her name is Elena Cornaro Piscopia.