Here are some one liners...
Radio Terror Panics the Nation... The Martians Have Landed! -- Orson Wells makes his name with this famous radio broadcast.
Peace for Our Time -- Neville Chamberlain never said "Peace in our time."
The Night of Broken Glass -- Over 1,000 synagogues are burned, holy scrolls are defiled, shop windows are smashed and 91 Jews are murdered.
Notable Births -- see below
In Other News -- see below
Radio Terror Panics the Nation... The Martians Have Landed!On the Sunday night prior to Halloween, Mercury Theater presents War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. It begins with an introductory narration by Orson Wells followed by dance music as if it is a normal broadcast. The music fades in and out as a series of news flashes report on strange lights from the planet Mars as if a giant gun has been shot toward Earth. Then a reporter on the scene describes the crash of a huge cylinder at a farm near Grover's Mill, New Jersey. There is a humming sound, and the cylinder opens. A strange beast emerges. "It is indescribable!" shouts the reporter. He then proceeds to describe it. "Something is happening.... a beam of light!" You can hear shouts in the background and then a long silence. "Ladies and gentlemen, we seem to be having technical difficulties." Yes, they are. The switchboards at AT&T light up. People are crying and screaming as the telephone operators try to calm the callers. If anyone had a lick of sense they would have realized that everything was happening too quickly to be real. Yet 1 in 12 listeners believed it was real. The next day newspaper headlines read "RADIO PLAY TERRIFIES NATION" Actually, the NEWSPAPER was pointing out the unreliability of their competitor, RADIO news! Luckily the newspapers spelled Orson Wells' name correctly. The young man is now famous.      
Peace for Our Time
- "I have returned from Germany with peace for our time."
- -- Neville Chamberlain, 1938.
The Night of Broken GlassJews are leaving Germany by the thousands, but the USA has determined through eugenics that the majority of Jews are potential criminals, or imbeciles. Jews who cannot get out of Germany are moving to the larger cities such as Berlin where there is some anonymity, but the Nuremberg Laws require Jews to identify themselves when asked. The Yellow Stars sewn to a Jew's clothing won't be required for another 3 years. Marriage between Jews and non-Jews is forbidden. Even Jewish families who had sincerely converted to Christianity a generation prior are considered "tainted," so to speak. The Brownshirts stand outside Jewish businesses with signs encouraging a boycott. Then a Nazi diplomat is assassinated in France by a Polish-Jewish teenager. In retaliation, the Brownshirts gather for an evening of terror while the German authorities look the other way. Over 1,000 synagogues are burned, holy scrolls are defiled, shop windows are smashed and 91 Jews are murdered. 30,000 Jewish men are sent to concentration camps. And so it begins.    
- Donald Knuth (Living): One of the big hitters of computer science. 
- Ted Turner (Living): Founder of CNN and husband of Jane Fonda until 2001. 
- Jerry Brown (Living): Governor of California. His girlfriend, Linda Ronstadt, called him "Governor Moonbeam." 
- And in Entertainment...
- -- Johnny Paycheck: Best known for singing, "Take This Job and Shove It" 
- -- Natalie Wood: She was the cute girl in the old, "Miracle on 34th Street" and Maria in Westside Story. 
- -- Jon Voight (Living): "National Treasure II", the TV show "24" and the father of Angelina Jolie 
- -- Dawn Wells (Living): Mary Ann of Gilligan's Island. 
- -- Christopher Lloyd (Living): 'Doc' Brown in "Back to the Future" and Uncle Fester in "The Addams Family". 
- **Note: (Living) means they were alive when I checked.
In Other News
- The Toll House chocolate chip cookie is invented. Toll House is a popular restaurant featuring home-style cooking. 
- Howard Hughes breaks the around the world speed record. He completes his flight in 3 days, 19 hours and 17 minutes.